Tuesday, August 20, 2013

grocery shopping.


Grocery shopping when you are trying to be healthy and eat clean can be overwhelming, especially when you are just starting out. I have created a list of tips and a lot of the things that I buy, as well as some that I don't personally buy but are great options.

Some Grocery Shopping Tips:

  • Stick around the perimeters of the store. For the most part, you want to avoid things in boxes and bags that have a long shelf life. Things with a long shelf life generally mean that they are overly processed.
  • Start with slowly making healthier choices and learning about how healthy products are. You don't need to immediately jump into 100% non-processed foods... in fact, if you do, you may end up going on a crazy binge from a drastic change. Start with adding more protein and fruits and veggies into your diet, while ditching the chips and cookies.
  • Things that say sugar free and fat free are not necessarily good choices. For example, sugar free cookies are still overly processed crap cookies :-P Instead of always looking for those words, look for organic, all natural, and "no sugar added" kinds of things.
  • READ THE LABELS. It gets confusing, but sometimes things like nut butters will say natural, but they still have things like added sugars and oils. Like I said in my previous post, look for products that have a smaller list of ingredients... less than two handfuls. And try to stick with the all natural brands!
  • Try to go to more farmers market/health stores for less variety/healthier options: In my area we have Sprouts, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods, in addition to the larger chain stores.


Proteins
-White fish (tilapia, orange roughy, mahi mahi, etc.)
-Ground turkey (extra lean or lean)
-Chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
-Eggs
-Lean steak (top sirloin and filet mignon)
-Bison
-Tofu
-Greek Yogurt (plain and lowfat or nonfat; sweeten it yourself... see sweeteners... to avoid added sugars)
-Cottage Cheese (lowfat or nonfat)
-Protein powder (whey: fast absorbing, casein: slower digesting)
-Quest Bars

Complex Carbs
-Sweet Potatoes
-Ezekiel bread/tortilla/english muffin
-Brown Rice
-Quinoa
-Oats
-Cream of wheat
-Beans (black, navy, pinto, garbonzo)
-Whole Grain Breads/tortillas/etc
-Corn tortillas
-Granola (all natural and look for low sugar or no sugar added)

Healthy Fats
-Nuts (raw)
-Seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin, chia etc.)
-Nut butter (for the best options, only ingredient should be nuts. no added sugars)
-Oil (coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame, avocado, etc.)
-Coconut
-Avocado
-Salmon (also a good source of protein)

Fruits
-Fresh
-Frozen
-In season and organic is best
-Dried fruit (no sugar added)
-Jelly (all natural, no sugar added)
-Applesauce (no sugar added)
-AVOID canned fruits as they are usually loaded with sugar

Veggies
-Fresh
-Frozen (I buy Steam Fresh)
-In season and organic is best
-AVOID canned veggies as they are usually loaded with sodium

Drinks
-WATER!!!!
-Tea (green tea is a great natural fat burner)
-Coffee (clean when it is black. add almond milk, natural sweeteners, or whey for flavoring)

Dairy
-Nonfat or skim milk
-Almond milk
-Greek yogurt (also listed as protein: plain and lowfat or nonfat; sweeten it yourself... see sweeteners... to avoid added sugars)
-Cottage Cheese (also listed as protein: nonfat or low fat)
-Almond cheese, fat-free cheese, light cheese

Sweeteners
-Stevia (plain or flavored)
-Raw Honey
-Raw Maple Syrup
-Raw Agave
-True Lemon

Condiments
-Spices (mrs. dash is a personal favorite)
-Herbs
-Mustard
-Hot sauce
-Salsa
-Vinaigrettes
-Apple Cider Vinegar

Baking Needs & More
-Flour (oat, almond, coconut, wheat)
-Cocoa powder


I, personally, like to make sure that I am eating both a portion of protein and a complex carb at the most of my meals to really fuel my body. I make sure to get enough healthy fats into my diet, but don't necessarily eat them at every meal. Vegetables, I will try to include in most of my meals as well, but if I am being quite honest, my vegetable intake is something that I really need to work on! So when I am grocery shopping I really focus first on making sure that I have the proteins and complex carbs that I need, then the vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats! And the rest is kind of just icing on the cake to spice it up! I will also be sure to make a post about some "fun" foods that are not considered "clean" but that I still like to eat daily! ;)

I hope this helps you guys  a little bit, at least! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, or if you can think of things that I have not included on the list, feel free to throw them out there! I am sure I forgot something! ;)

Dream Big. Make It Happen. No Excuses.
xxox,
Ashley Scott

4 comments:

  1. What about agave as a sweetener?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that is a great one! I don't use it so I didn't think of it, but yes!

      Delete
  2. is there some foods that people should avoid? Ones that people wouldn't typically deem "unhealthy" but it actually isn't so great? for example... Potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally don't really believe in avoiding foods all together. I think that the ones that aren't as healthy as others should be moderated more, but that you should be able to feel free to eat anything you want!

      Delete